Take screenshots or make display screen recordings with the Display Seize app now constructed into Chrome OS.
Screenshot assist has lengthy been constructed into Chrome OS. Press Ctrl + Present Home windows to seize a PNG of every thing in your display screen. Or, press Ctrl + Shift + Present Home windows after which click-and-drag to seize a selected rectangular space.
Lately, Google added a Display Seize app to Chrome OS that not solely permits you to report your screen–optionally, with audio, as well–but additionally features a new strategy to take screenshots. That is helpful, since display screen recording on a Chromebook beforehand required third-party extensions or apps.
SEE: Google Sheets: Suggestions and tips (TechRepublic obtain)
Methods to use the Display Seize software
First, ensure your Chrome machine is up to date to Chrome 89 or newer, then comply with the steps beneath.
1. Click on within the lower-right nook the place the Wi-Fi, battery and clock indicators show.
2. Choose Display Seize (Determine A).
3. Subsequent, choose both Seize (picture) or File (video).
4. Modify the realm to be captured: the total display screen, a portion of the display screen or a window (as proven in Determine B).
5. Optionally, if you choose File, you additionally might choose the sprocket after which change audio recording from the microphone on or off.
6. If you happen to select to seize or report a portion of the display screen, click-and-drag to specify the part to seize. In any other case, click on anyplace on the display screen to both seize your picture or begin recording. When completed recording, click on on the purple report button that shows within the right-side of the shelf to cease recording.
7. Entry current display screen captures both from the shelf (within the lower-right nook space) or wherever your system shops Downloads. To discover ways to change the obtain location, see: Methods to change your Chromebook Downloads folder to make sure you all the time have your recordsdata accessible.
The Display Seize software saves screenshots as PNG format pictures, whereas recordings are saved in WebM format recordsdata. Recordsdata in each codecs can be utilized with Google Workspace apps. For instance, you would possibly insert PNG or WebM format recordsdata in a Google Slides presentation or on a Google Websites web page.
Be aware: WebM display screen recordings might not play on each machine.
Traditionally, Apple’s Safari browser has not supported WebM recordsdata, though, early 2021 beta releases point out that WebM assist might arrive quickly for Safari on macOS. To verify in case your browser helps WebM, go to the WebM detect web page. For max viewability, it’s possible you’ll need to convert WebM recordsdata to a different format, akin to MP4, to make sure that it can show correctly on most units. Take a look at Convert greater than 200 file varieties in your browser with CloudConvert, to find out about one file conversion software that works nicely for internet-connected Chromebooks.
Different choices? Your expertise?
Whereas Display Seize handles primary screenshot and recording duties on Chromebooks, third-party apps should make sense for many individuals. Utilities, akin to Loom for Chrome, Nimbus Screenshot & Display Video Recorder and Screencastify – Display Video Recorder, do way more than merely seize and save pictures and recordings. These apps allow you to seize your webcam alongside together with your display screen recording (so your webcam reveals as an inset video), make primary edits to seize pictures and recordings in addition to retailer or export recordsdata in numerous codecs (e.g., MP4, GIF, and so forth.). All three of those utilities present some performance at no cost, with paid improve choices accessible.
What screenshot or display screen recording software do you employ most frequently in your Chromebook? Do you discover Google’s Display Seize software enough in your wants, or do you like further options provided by third-party screenshot and recording apps? Within the feedback beneath or on Twitter (@awolber), let me know what strategies you employ to seize your Chromebook display screen.